The Department of Agriculture is a Government agency responsible for the promotion of agricultural development by providing framework, public investments, and support services needed for domestic and export- oriented business enterprises.
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of agricultural policy for
the District Assembly within the framework of national policies.
- Submit report on the implementation of policies and programmes to the
- Advice the District Assembly on matters related to agricultural
development in the district.
- Promote extension services to farmers.
- Promote soil and water conservation measures by the appropriate
- Promote an effective and integrated water management.
- Encourage improvement in livestock breeds.
- Assist in developing early warning systems on animal’s diseases.
- Facilitate and encourage vaccination and immunization of livestock and
control of animal diseases.
- Promote agro-processing and storage.
- Facilitate Plant Protection and Regulatory Services.
- Provision of agricultural support service that are beneficial to farmers, processors and marketers to help bridge gender gaps in the agriculture sector.
SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC
To collectively empower farmers and the private sector to increase agricultural productivity and profitability, taking into account sustainability and resilience.
Implementation of Government Flagship programmes:
- Planting for Food and Jobs (PFJ)
- Rearing for Food and Jobs (RFJ)
- Planting for Export and Rural Development (PERD)